Thank you for joining me on my journey to India!

It is the internship I have been talking about for months.
Official departure: October 1, 2011
Official return: December 11, 2011

Friday, December 2, 2011

Week 8 duties and adventures + Goa: The Las Vegas of India


Hello all, and happy December!

The beginning of the week brought new hospitals, new doctors, new babies and long hours. Thursday I was in for a Turkey-treat (minus the actual turkey) and Friday delivered me both a scare and another weekend getaway! It was a learning experience, packed with random fun and a fearful (only a little) moment, full of celebrations and enjoyment!

November 21, Monday
Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital and Research Center
Day one at a new hospital. This hospital actually resembled home!! I was able to recognize proper sanitation protocol and procedures. Doctors changed their gloves between patients and everything! It was a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately one downside of a more modernized hospital-- taking pictures is slightly more difficult. I will see if I can snap a few more in the coming week.

Eight floors! I reside the majority of the time on floor level three: the gynecology, obstetrics and pediatric departments. Fully inclusive of a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Pediatric ICU, labor and delivery rooms. I also work in the OPD (out patient department). OPD is the Indian short form for the clinic you go to for the usual check-ups, strep tests, colds, coughs, and other common ailing complaints. All these types of checkups are on the first floor. A day begins at 8-9 AM followed by breakfast with Mr. and Mrs. Dabak, and then it is off to work till about 1-3 PM.

1-3 PM… Usually.
Not for Shelane.

My first day at the hospital I stayed until 10 PM. There was so much excitement I had no desire to leave. So I didn’t. Word has it; I am the only intern to have ever stayed that late. Surprised? I didn’t think so.  In my opinion it is an honor to hold that record. I suppose one could directly correlate it to the level of passion I have for medicine.
I have mentioned many times about the quality of healthcare in India, and the HUGE range of sufficiency throughout each hospital and medical facility. Each place I have visited has brought me new protocol and new standards. Recently, since all medical rotations in Pune are categorized as ‘Child and Maternal Health’ I have been doing a lot of work in the baby department. Interacting with the: trying to be pregnant patients, pregnant patients, about to burst at 40 weeks pregnant patients, and my personal favorite the not-pregnant-anymore/giving birth patients. It has been very, very rewarding to witness the start of life nearly everyday. However, while observing so many deliveries I noticed a formality of Indian healthcare completely different from the United States…. and no, it doesn’t have anything to do with sanitation.
During labor and delivery the woman is alone. The woman has to deliver the baby by herself. Of course doctors, nurses and residents surround her, but giving birth in India seems so much less intimate than it does in the states. Once the baby is delivered he/she is taken away into a different room where the pediatrician will exam him/her properly. The mother doesn’t get to see her little one until after the infants initial examination, usually 10-20 minutes later. It broke my heart. The women don’t have anyone to support her, nobody holding their hand, massaging or coaching them through delivery… they have to be by themselves. After many questions it was confirmed, this routine is universal in India.
One of the small reasons why I was at the hospital for 14 hours.

Story time.
When I arrived in the morning there were three women in labor who would all periodically deliver within a few hours of each other. In between the first and second I started talking with Mrs. Dalvi Mithila Mihir, but she told me to call her Sweety***. She worked for an American company and spoke English very well; it was really easy to talk with her so we started chatting about pregnancy in the United States. She had done a lot of online research about deliveries, and had run across the intimacy involved with many American births. She wanted to know what it was like to be surrounded by so much love during the birth. She read that in America, it was up to the woman who surrounded her. She didn’t want to be by herself. She wanted me to stay with her. So I promised her I would. Then the fun started: She had been in labor for 22 hours, and it was time to get the baby out. She was making progress but not enough. They helped her along with some oxytocin (a powerful hormone) and when it appeared it would still be another hour or so, all of the nurses and residents took a break. They left leaving just me, a Sr. Resident and a Doctor. Of course this is when the baby finally crowned and decided to make his/her grand debut. My original intention was to be there to support her, but in a quick turn of events I actually got to help deliver her healthy baby boy! She stayed in room 328 where for the next 48 hours I received a lot of tea; sweets and a very heart felt appreciation from her whole family.

***Side note: Her original name was ‘Sweety’ (sp?) but at marriage her husband didn’t like her namem, so he changed it to Dalvi. Crazy.


Excitement aside: it was a long, but fun day. It makes me appreciative of the delivery process in America. Women have so much access to options; your pregnancy and delivery can be as intimate and personal or as open and gregarious as you want it to be. An isolated, private room for yourself and husband, or a crowded room with video cameras, extended family and tears; have it anyway you like. If not for India I would have never known anything less. In India the father doesn’t get to clip the umbilical cord, and the mother doesn’t get the quick loving embrace from her still covered in ‘goo’ baby the instant after delivery. 

November 22&23, Tuesday and Wednesday

Two more captivating days at the hospital-- not nearly as exciting as the first, but I didn’t get around to leaving until my stomach was eating itself around 5-6. I did ICU rounds and OPD with Dr. Rajan Joshi, a well-known pediatrician. He took me to the phenomenal NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) where I witnessed extremely premature babies at 26 weeks (the normal is 40), being kept alive by UV lights and tiny, tiny oxygen masks. Infants who are fully physically developed: little perfect faces, with 10 fingers and 10 toes, but not bigger than the palm of you hand.

Because of the Population density, as a student I am exposed to a colossal number of patients on a daily basis. Colossal is an accurate way of putting it too. In a short ten week period there is no doubt I have seen as many patients as a resident in the US would see in 6+ months. This is an excellent place to come for medical observation and clinical hours; you get maximum exposure to a lot of patients in a short amount of time. 
Hmm….  Maybe I will keep that in mind for the future.


November 24, Thursday

Gobble Gobble!
On a whim, I skipped a day at the hospital. I had earned it, and put it more than enough hours to suffice a successful work week. Besides, Thanksgiving is a holiday so I am entitled to enjoy it. I spent a day with the girls. Eating, laughing, shopping, chatting and then we did it all over again. We shared a wonderful “Thanksgiving” dinner at a restaurant named Yala. The girls ordered 2 huge “sizzlers” to share, as per the Thanksgiving tradition. Served on a sizzling metal pan (like fajitas) included a mountain of rice, noodles, vegetable, sauces, spices, some fries (random), and chicken. It wasn’t Turkey, but it was delicious. After dinner the girls and I made ‘hand turkeys’, and went for dessert a few hours later. It was a great day, and I am so happy to have met Apurva and her friend Shamika. Apurva has been so wonderful to me, and was even nice enough to introduce me to all of her friends. We have had some of the best “American conversations” and I even promised my attendance at her wedding. Just don’t get married too soon Apurva, I need some time to save up $$$ again!
Unfortunately this is where the fearful moment comes into the story.
During dessert both Apurva and Shamika got simultaneous calls from their mothers saying that something had been done to one of the popular politicians; they were to get me home quickly before a potential riot broke out.  So, of course the girls went into protective mode and scurried me off to the guesthouse. I had to hide under a long, dark shawl for the scooter ride home. I was told to cover up my face and arms. Eek! Sounds scary right… well this is where the story lightens up a bit---
With the hasty reactions I thought he had been assassinated, and if that were the case going incognito as a foreigner would be for good reason……Turns out the politician only got slapped.
My view of the situation severity aside, it was still significant enough to get the “breaking news/ urgent announcements” on all of the television stations. Still, I was instructed to stay inside for the night and perhaps even for the morning depending on how the situation unraveled.

November 25, Friday
No riots. No deaths. No fire or explosions. No angry mobs. But…… All of Pune was shut down. Disregarding the hospitals and bank, everything was shut down to avoid any political scrutiny. The streets and roads were even emptier. It was eerie, and an almost over the top. Nonetheless, at least the situation didn’t escalate, and I remained safe and sound. It is not only a good story to tell, but truth be told-- it was fun going ninja status, disappearing under a cloak for 20 minutes or so.
I went to the hospital for a few more hours that ended with one more delivery and a mystery illness in the Pediatric ICU. It was a lovely week, but I was ready for another weekend adventure.
I have come to think that two things are contributing to my lack of uploading on IndiaandShelane. Besides the busy days at the hospital—I think I am completely adjusted to Indian life. Things that probably would have left me dumbfounded 8 weeks ago are now invisible. Things I would have originally blogged 15 pages about (oh wait, I did) I don’t even notice anymore. The days at the hospital are so fun (to me) and action packed that I have stopped writing down what I am observing. Instead I am just living in the moment, offering a helping hand without having to be asked. I have found myself not having as many ‘OMG I am in India moments”. I realize I am in India… I don’t feel like an outside intern standing on the sidelines anymore. I am so easily integrated with people that within minutes I find myself exchanging life stories with other doctors, nurses, residents and even PATIENTS (as I described above). I may be alone, but I am never really alone.

Goa: The Las Vegas of India

How do my weekend adventures keep getting better and better… I don’t know, but they do! Beings I only have one weekend left, I wouldn’t have it, or want it, any other way.
Three words: Goa. Is. Amazing.
I could make a list of several reasons why, but I will try and focus on the points that stood out to me the most. One thing I have enjoyed about India is that every new place is so diverse from the last. Culturally, atheistically, environmentally, and Goa is no exception. It was beautiful, tropical and everything I could have hoped for on a weekend excursion while off-duty.
Now let’s get to it!

November 26, Saturday

I crossed another item off of my bucket list.
I can officially say I have had my feet in the Arabian Sea. Another exotic body of water has caressed my toes! The water was lovely and warm. I even bottled up some sand to take back with me.

After last week’s hotel fiasco, I decided to do things a little differently. Instead of reserving a hotel prior, I just traveled on a whim planning to find a hotel after I arrived.
My plan: Find a taxi driver and tell him, “ I will give you 500 rupees right now if you drive me around until I find a nice hotel I can stay at for 2 nights.” It was more than easy to convince a taxi driver with that sort of cash, and I was quickly on my way. Normally weekend trips are just that—two days, Saturday and Sunday, but I decided to really enjoy myself and stretch my time through Monday. Three days, two nights. We drove for 20 km checking 7-8 hotels before I found a winner. The Mayflower Beach Resort. Wi-Fi, AC, a 1-minute walk from the beach and right next to several markets filled with shopping goodness. Perfect once again.  This whole traveling by myself is going splendid!

I took the overnight bus, so I arrived early on Saturday morning and had the whole day ahead of me. I checked into the hotel and casually started chatting with the hotel owner and manager, Sylvester. As per normal Indian tradition, he offered to show me around town since he was about to run an errand anyway.
First stop: Saturday flea market
Red and green chilis: medium hot, sweet or whatever way you like it! Vegetables, nuts, flowers, fruit, baby sharks, fish, chicken, shrimp, squid, wheat, grain, pork, rice


ANDDDDDD, wait for it……………………………


...............................................................BEEF! *gasp* (beef not pictured)
After he collected some things, we left and immediately it was time for the beach! I haven’t had this type of sun since… well, never! Hawaii and Miami can’t even compare to the white, warm beaches of Goa. I was exactly where I wanted to be.
Obviously by my previous posts, I am sure you can make the assumption that since I am in India,  regardless of location, everyone is trying to sell you something. People repeatedly walked up and down the huts, cabanas and sun chairs selling jewelry, fruit, fabrics/sarongs, sunglasses, ice creams, and much, much more (keep reading, it gets better)

After a few hours on the beach I was hungry and decided to go back to the resort for some Goa grub and a fruity drink. I sat down in the lounge and ordered Masala papad. A wonderful warm, fresh and crunchy delight (see food diary). This is where I met Rebecca. She was from Alabama and was on a small vacation from work, and just like me- traveling by herself. She works on contract for the US military in Kuwait. She isn’t connected to the military at all, but she works side-by-side. We started chatting, and as with all of my adventures. I made a new friend.
Around 11 PM I got a call from Sylvester, the hotel manager, he asked me if I wanted to go to the Saturday night bazaar. I was initially worried about the time, but he had told me about it earlier in the day, and that in Goa women don’t have to be indoors before 8-9. It is, for the majority, safe at all hours.
This particular market didn’t even start until 10, and it goes until people leave, or around 3 AM. I can never turn down shopping, and I most certainly wasn’t going to give up the opportunity to break my ‘Indian curfew’.
Shopping, crowds of people, loud music, AND free entertainment.

I swear I have seen these same men/ or same show-like group before. They did flips, twists, and of course: the limbo… with fire!
November 27, Sunday

I woke up around 9 or so originally planning to take an official Goa tour. The tour was all-inclusive, 8 hours on a bus where you see all of the beaches, and stop for lunch…. Then I decided to change of plans… structured tour or relaxing day at the beach….
And the winner was: It was back to the beach.

100% satisfaction!
And yes, I broke the drink rule/stigma again, and had a beer—it was hot okay?! Sorry to all of my Indian friends, please don’t be ashamed; just take pleasure in my sincere enjoyment.
Sylvester told me that Goa is the Las Vegas of India. What happens in Goa, stays in Goa….
But everything goes in IndiaandShelane.
Like I mentioned previously, many local Goans walk the beach, back and forth selling all kinds of things. My top 4 purchases:
30 minute massage: 100 rps + 400 rps tip
Manicure with finger bling: 300 rps.
Pedicure with toe bling: 300 rps
Coconut, Pineapples, Mangos, Guava, Passion fruit, Papaya, and Banana: 10rps to 50 rps
Fruit Galore! Self served cut fresh directly in front of you, and my lunch for 3 days straight.

Massage, manicure, sun tan, pedicure, fruit, thirst quenchers and I mustn’t forget the free entertainment. Most people (or their kids) will do anything for a dollar: 50 rps donation
It was impressive!
Sea biscuiting and ‘banana boating’ the Arabian Sea: 200 rps. x2 rounds
I must admit, I managed fairly well in the windy, rough sea!
One silver ring, and one turquoise bracelet.
Pure bliss



Anything goes in Goa, 50 years or so ago Americans and British ruled the sand with frequent tourism, but according to the locals the majority of recent visitors are Russians! It is cheaper, for them to fly to India than to Miami, Florida. I am guessing this man is British, but I must add-- I thoroughly enjoy his sailor cap and Speedo. ANYTHING GOES!
November 27, Monday
Monday was the day I took an extended vacation, and you could almost say it was a mirror day of Sunday. Again, I could have taken several day tours, but relaxation and getting some color on my skin won that debate with no opposition. Woke up around nine to check out of my hotel by ten. It was off to the beach with Rebecca. Shopped a little bit, and then it was another overnight sleeper bus back to Pune. I must also comment on the sleeper bus, while it was nice to lay down, the beds are not made for people over 5’6’’… which I exceed the limit by two inches. It is a good thing I can sleep in just about any position. Arrived in Pune at 6AM and chilled out the rest of the day. Wonderful.

Bottom line:
I Love this place.
Friends save up your money.
Sun, shopping, perfect winter get-away (peak months to go November- January), beaches, nightlife, people from all over the country, outrageously cheap hotels, food and lots-o-fun.


GOA is where its at!

That is it for now, I will write to you all again soon.
I can't believe it is already December! Time is running out I will be returning in a week! 
See you all soon!

Xoxo,
India and Shelane

1 comment: