Thank you for joining me on my journey to India!

It is the internship I have been talking about for months.
Official departure: October 1, 2011
Official return: December 11, 2011

Monday, November 21, 2011

Pune, Pune, Pune


My adventures of the week began with Apurva and her friends. I did shopping in one of the more westernized shopping areas- and surprisingly I was not impressed by what I saw. What a unexpected way to start my blog entry: I didn’t like the shopping… hmm. Her and I went to a fabulous brunch and continued on with our day. It was fun exploring, but the real treat happened at night, Apurva’s older sister is 7 months pregnant and I was lucky enough to be invited to the celebration. It was similar to our ‘baby showers’ where family members all crowded around the mama-to-be, there was lots of food served, and everyone sang and chatted. Of course I didn’t sing, but I participated in eating the delicious food and watching family members interact. It was a honor to be invited to such an intimate Indian celebration. It was so fun to be a part of it.

I learned many things this week, and am excited to share it all with you. This week businesslike and eventfully, was up and down and all around. I had lectures from medical school professors, spent a night in a rural village, working as a valued doctor in a health clinic outside of Pune, and I also worked in the hospital. Do you see what I mean, very busy! I also learned a great deal about the caste system, and later in this post I will break it down for you all

November 14, Monday

I sat through a medical school anatomy lecture. It was amazing, and served as a great refresher on both gross anatomy and the female genitalia and reproductive systems. It was really rewarding for the instructor to report that I was very knowledgeable on anatomy, I still got it even three years since my last anatomy lecture. Yay!
The day ended with a long game of badminton and 8 mosquito bites. The mosquitos thoroughly enjoy me

November 15, Tuesday

During my stay in Pune I was told I would get exposed to both the rapidly growing city of Pune and also the more rural villages in the surrounding areas. Once again, CFHI India gives me a little a bit of everything.  The day started early, Mr. and Mrs Daback, Dada and I were in the car by 8 on our way to three places. First stop: Yelse Primary Healthcare center. It is a private clinic funded by the government serving free health care to 30,000 people. Beings we were almost 2 hours outside of Pune all of the patients were from rural areas who had little chance, if any of receiving medical assistance anywhere else. I spent a few hours with Dr. Vanam Gengas, the ‘medical officer’ and only doctor in the clinic.


We discussed India’s six primary health concerns that the government has recently been trying to control (since ~1970’s)
-Tuberculosis
-Leprosy
-HIV/AIDS
-Cataract education
-Family Planning
-Population explosion (the most difficult and the most important)

Unfortunately there is no better way to say it than simply-- India is overcrowded. 1.3 billion people inhabit an area 3 times smaller than the US. Do the math—three times the amount of people in an area three times as small. The biggest contributing factor to nearly all of the morbidity and mortality in India has some relation to population explosion.




Similar to when I was in Patti (see entry: National Geographic)
^^ Side note: Patti was 5 weeks ago!!!!!! This internship is going by much too quickly for my liking.
Anyway,  I interacted with people who are from villages in the most rural parts of India. Places where many ‘old’ tradition and morals still stand. It is hard to believe, but many illiterate individuals cant even recognize the importance of healthcare, some don’t even know it exists.


For example a young lady came in with her baby. Her baby had complications of a low-grade fever and decreased motion. Instinctively I could tell this woman (if you can call her a woman) was much, much too young to have a child. I asked Dr. Gangas her age… his reply… She doesn’t know exactly, but she is no more than 15, maybe even 14.  The longer I am in India I realize I am not living in a movie—this is real. Eight thousand miles away this happens everyday. If I weren’t here to experience it myself, I would have a hard time believing it.


^^^ I added this picture for several reason. 1- you can tell how you young these women are (the mother and accompanying friend) 2- how small everyone in India is—what I mean specifically is that my 5’9’’ stature is TALL in comparison. VERY tall. The mother was barely over 4’7’’ and the even men I am around are usually only reaching 5’10’’ at the max. More pictures of this later in the post.

My experiences are still surreal, but I realize 1.3 billion people live this way everyday. Some people live a life of luxury, and some people live under unimaginable circumstances that most contemporary people couldn’t fathom.



The young lady and her baby sparked a conversation. I asked if any of the more westernized communities incorporated sex education, even in the slightest into general schooling. I received the answer I anticipated. No. Occasionally ‘family planning” is included. However it only covers the topics of sterilizations and the importance of not giving birth to too many children. Other than that, it is a topic that is just not discussed--in or out of school. 

Next stop:
Secondary School: 5th standard- 10th standard + Jr. College 11th and 12th standard
I must first add in that this school serves the same group of villagers the health care center serves. Some children walk minutes or even hours to attend school everyday.  I was more than just invited to observe the school, but I got the opportunity to sit in on a lecture given to the 11th standard women’s class. The topic: ‘catch them young’ was covered. In short it provided awareness lectures on health, environmental salvation, involvement in your community, and the importance of cooperation, and using your education to your advantage, it also covered tobacco/alcohol addiction. Although the lecture was given in Mahrati, Mr. Dakak was kind enough to translate. During the lecture several stories were told, but one particularly stood out to me-- it pertained to the usefulness of cooperation. It goes a little something like this:
A dinner was held for many, many people, several towns were invited so naturally both good and bad people attended. Upon arrival everyone’s arm was splinted in a cast that extended from their upper arm to wrist making their elbow locked in a straight position. Dinner was served, and permission was given to eat, the only problem is no one obviously could bend their elbows to feed themselves. A divide occurred. Those who were of bad spirit and selfishness (AKA ‘bad’) had first instincts to go face first into their plate, but the forward thinking and genuine (AKA ‘good’) people’s reaction was to feed others. If cooperation was used, eating was easy as everyone’s extended arms easily reached another persons mouth. Brilliant! What would you do?


Even after story time, my experience at the school was about to get better.
Mid lecture (since it was scheduled for over an hour) I snuck out of the classroom. There had been loud-music like commotion nearby and no one who spoke English could pin-point its source. As expected--- Shelane had to find out where it was originating.
 
I ventured down the doors opening each one as I came—behind door #1 was the science room….


Behind door #2 was nothing…

Door #3… the music room, or at least some random room used for that purpose. A large circle of girls and boys (5-8th- ish standard) had formed holding thick double bells playing songs. I watched for some time and took pictures while they all smiled at me, but that wasn’t good enough for them. Within minutes they eagerly handed me an instrument. So I joined in on the fun… it’s a good thing I have rhythm.


I left the music room, and ventured outside to find Dr. Daback, but instead I found the headmaster (principle) and another group of all girl students playing a different instrument. The instrument is called a Legume. 


Groups of girls were singing and dancing playing their instruments. Once again I was invited to play, and so was the principle. It was a great time! I wish videos were not so many megabytes or I would upload them, but Indian internet is much to slow to do so.


After I joined in for the fun for a while it was time to put the instrument down. After I did I was told I had to play a game with the principle. It is a traditional schoolyard game. I have no idea what it is called, but you spin around in a circle until someone gives up! I won!

Last stop:
A village that has been in Mr. and Mrs. Daback’s family for 3 generations. 

Lets start from the beginning:
It all started with a large piece of land that Dr. Dabaks great-grandfather owned in the late 1800’s.The land was prime for farming and was a prime location for the growing of rice and lentils. He had several workers who labored everyday to make it a success. They were of lower caste doing the hard labor to earn them a few rupees to feed their family. Comparatively Dr. Daback’s grandfather was a good man who was compassionate and took care of his workers; he even made several visits to check on their progress--often bringing hot foods and gifts. However, with the 1947 liberation of India from the British Dr. Dabaks  grandfather lost 98% of his land and was only left with a small unfertile plot.  The Act dictated any landlords owning property that had not lived on the land in the past 5 years were to surrender it to the individuals who inhabited it. This Act knows as the foundation act was established to progressively dissolve the caste system. Even with his loss, Dr. Dabak’s father made his son promise him to still make monthly trips out to the village to check in on the villagers and the land. He still brings food, and has kept his promise ever since.

Mid-Blog entry interlude:

The caste system:
From the beginning of my blog and my journey through India I have continually referred to the ‘caste system”. After many conversations with several people I am now ready to explain it to the best of my ability. I hope I get this right. Since I now have many Indian readers, sorry if I mess this up.
In basic terms it is defined social classes. I use the word defined because you only live, work, eat, and even marry within your caste. In the past 100 years several attempts have been made to lessen the seriousness of classifications, but even still, it very much exists. There are primarily five recognized castes:

1. Brahmine
The educated and business class of India. Brahmines are often landlords, business owners and educators. They would be consulted to make any important decisions because they apparently (by way of their social class) have clear, serious and focused minds. Respected as people who are of the highest genetic decent. Diet is usually vegetarian. They can afford the best spices, fruits and vegetables so nothing else is required.

2. Kshtriya
The brave, warrior class of India. Kshtriya were individuals who were called to war and protected the homeland. Kings and royalty were usually Kshtriya. Through years of in-caste marriage and reproduction they were comparatively taller and bulkier than others. Diet was usually non-vegetarian consisting of high fat and protein intake, they could and would eat anything that was digestible (which also explains their stature). Their fitness was considered strong and indestructible.

3. Vaishya
The traders and sellers of India. You could often find those of Vaishya decent selling fabrics, fruit, spices and any other good that could be exchanged for money. Diet was dictated by what kind of goods they sold. If fruits, vegetables and edibles were sold, they usually ate that. Otherwise they ate what they could afford.

4. Shodra
The lower class of India. Scrounging up money in any job they could find, usually hard labor jobs, in the field and on the streets. Most didn’t have consistent employment, but instead searched day-to-day for small paying jobs. Shodras, although of lower class may be the most hard working-- doing anything humanly possible to earn a few rupees. Usually found as rickshaw drivers, cart carriers, shoe repair and shoe shiners, tailors, cleaners, caregivers and cooks. They were and still are at the mercy of the higher classes to earn a living. Diet is scarce and random depending on their income, and whether or not priorities were for food or alcohol and drugs.

5. The untouchables.
The lowest of the low, the mocked, the depressed, and the truly repressed to every extent possible, the untouchables- literally. I wrote of this class in a previous post. (New town, new assignments, a whole new world). Most men and women in this category are ‘rag pickers’/garbage dwellers. They search through rubbish for everything and anything salvageable. However in my opinion, rag pickers are considered lucky compared to the even more decrepit- those who had to clean up and dispose of human waste.  Diet was any salvageable foods, and perhaps other morsels they may have been able buy.

At one time people even had certificates of caste. It was common knowledge to only marry, and reproduce with those in your same caste. Once classified, unless with some sort of luck or unreal determination, you and your family remained in a particular caste.

Lucky to be an American


These are the friends that decided they wanted to join me while I slept. It was the biggest spider I have ever seen in my ENTIRE life. I have become very accustomed to the spiders in India, even the odd looking bugs dont creep me out. I have even killed a few spiders and bugs with my hands. I was proud of myself for keeping my cool, but this spider made it all come crashing down. The lizard didnt bother me. I think they are kind of cute. The spider--- not so much.
Another thing I found funny about Indian girls, they are not afraid of spiders but of LIZARDS!!! Apurva said she is terrified of lizards, but not of spiders!
I am sorry, spiders as big as my hand are not okay in my book. Whats even worse? Mrs. Dabak said that in the rainy season they are even bigger! Excuse my language... but HELL NO!

November 16, Wednesday

It was back to the Primary Healthcare center. It was another fun filled assignment. Since the doctor had confidence in me I was to do all the necessary injections and IV insertions. YES!
We talked some more about problems in India and we also talked about the immunization schedule every child born in India would get. It is a long list with very different vaccines than the US.

At birth: Polio (oral administration)
1 month: BCG (Tuberculosis vaccine)
1.5 months: first series of DPT (diphtheria,
pertussis [whooping cough] and tetanus and Hepititis B
2.5 monts: second series of DPT and Hepititis B
3.5 months: third and final of the DPT series
6+ months: third and final of the Hepatitis B series
9 months: Government administered MMR (Measels, Mumps, Rubella)
Privately administered with enough money MMR, Typhoid and  influenza
1.5 years: DPT booster


November 17 and 18, Thursday & Friday

Continued lectures from Mr. and Mrs. Dabak. Topics included: Emergency obstetrics and child and maternal heath care in India, fetal membranes throughout pregnancy and embryology. Learning about things that fascinate me makes me miss my Human Physiology classes. Can’t I just be a student forever? Although going to medical school kind of classifies me as that— so lets just get to it!!!

Thursday night I was in for another treat- a birthday party!!!! I am so fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. It was Dada’s friends two sons celebration. A lavish terrace birthday party with many, many children and adults too! Probably near 100+ people. Population explosion has one positive- big time partying!!! It was packed with a buffet, cake and traditional ceremonies.

This is my host family,Dada  his wife Manisha and their daughter Chawkolie (it means culture in sanscrit). Such a wonderful family! More pictures of all of us to come soon!!!


I am not exactly what ceremony I participated in, but it involved a red dot on the birthday boy’s forehead, rice, sugar, a gold piece and a candle. It was fun, and I felt very honored to be so welcomed into to true Indian traditions.

I am so fortunate to be at the right place, at the right time. I have been here for two of the biggest holidays of the year (similar to our thanks giving and Christmas) Dushara and Diwali, a pregnancy party, a birthday part AAANNNNNDDDDDD Dr. Dabak’s childhood friends son is getting married, and I was lucky enough to be invited. I can’t wait, and I am sure I will have MUCH to write about in the coming weeks.
I consider myself one lucky lady!

Final thoughts and comments on my week:

I notice that I have a lot of down time in Pune, days are scheduled sporadically and each new day brings new tasks and new people. Sometimes I finish work at 1-2 PM and other times I don’t reach home/ my guesthouse until 4-5 PM. Somedays have 4 surgeries and 3 hours of lecture, somedays are solely observations. I am tired one moment and wide awake others. Reminds me of home! Because of this, my schedule is directly correlated with sleeping. Even before India, one of my favorite hobbies is to nap, which I am now fitting into my schedule often.

Also I can substantiate that I have been out and about exploring enough that I am becoming partially familiar with the area around me. I am noticing specific landmarks that identify how close or how far I am to home. I have learned how to maneuver around the what seems like millions of bikes and what to tell the auto rickshaw so I arrive to my destination complication-free. Another feat throughout which I prevailed—me, the most directionally challenged individual in the whole world is finding her way around a big city! Shelane for the win!



My time in Pune has brought about many new thoughts and feelings. Everyone is just so wonderful here and I am having so much fun. I have a feeling that I am going to miss India when I go home. 



Up until the past three weeks my attitude toward India was, ‘I love it here, but I wont be coming back’. Now I am not sure if that still remains true. I have built relationships strong enough to visit again. I have promised attendance to weddings and celebrations that I have formally been invited to. Undoubtedly I have many medical professionals that I have worked with that I plan to keep in touch with. Dr. Gandhi and other individuals have helped shape my career even further, I am forever grateful for this experience. I may (will) require a vacation back to India in the foreseeable future.
I think that is a great note to end with, so for now, this is end of Pune, Pune Pune.

If you noticed this post only stretched through Friday. I spent my weekend in Aurangabad exploring completely by myself, and I had a great time. I have been flying solo since Taylor left, but even so people always surround me. However this challenge I took on solely alone, and quite frankly I dominated the sight seeing, touring and unknown city. Therefore I have decided to dedicate an entire post to my adventures. I am excited to share it with you all!
Keep your eyes peeled for another entry soon! It is going to be a good one!

I will write again soon.

Xoxo,
India and Shelane

No comments:

Post a Comment