Thank you for joining me on my journey to India!

It is the internship I have been talking about for months.
Official departure: October 1, 2011
Official return: December 11, 2011

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Final thoughts. Post-India.


Greetings from Oregon!

Precursor: while proofreading this entry I realized it is beautiful madness and unprompted randomness. Thoughts and reflections poured from my fingertips, often in what seems like no particular order. The randomness of this upload is both frustrating and gleeful. It makes me realize that so much has happened in the past 10 weeks. My memories and tasks have been documented in chronological order. Each week I have posted pictures and paragraphs of perspective, but now, in a final compilation any precise order is impossible. So enjoy the madness that is my final reflections of India.
I have been compiling this post for the past 2 weeks. 

Lets walk through my final reflections together…

December 6, Tuesday

I still have 4 days left in India, 3 days in Pune and one day in Delhi. I have so many IE3 questions to answer, evaluations to finish and another blog to upload about my week 9 week, and my last week in India. I don’t want to write about that though, my mind is not in the right place to write about a small fraction of my trip. All I can think about it what I am going to say in my final words.

I made one of the best decisions of my life coming to India…. Duh! This internship has been a long time coming, it all started in the international affairs office at the University of Oregon. I talked to several advisors trying to decide what program, and what country would be the best fit for me. Then I found India. I had the whole world to explore, but the CFHI India program called my name the strongest. 
Once I made up my mind about applying, not going to India was not an option.

I remember calling my mom as I was walking home from the study abroad office saying I was going to India. Now my time is dwindling. Ten weeks later, the internship I wanted so badly is almost over.

December 9, Friday
I am on the plane ride to Delhi, my last stop before my final flight home. I am looking out the window. This is some of the only time I have nothing to do but sit and write. My chance to reflect before I board a 15.5 hour ride to New Jersey tomorrow.
.
The Himalayans are brown now.


They were beautiful shades of green when I was in the village of Patti in northern India. The monsoon season brought life to the plants, crops, flowers and the mountainside, but the heat has taken it away. 



I came to India at a spectacular time; I saw the country in the few months it has mild weather, and wonderful shades of green (at least in the beginning).


It may be winter here, but 70 degree Fahrenheit hardly constitutes winter in my world.  I am going to be so damn cold when I get off the plane in New Jersey. I am sure in my Post-India entry I will be commenting on this.

I am so thankful I had the opportunity to attend so many cultural traditions. Again, I was in India at the perfect time, I lucked out in so many different ways. I was lucky enough to be included just like family. The holidays and festivals of Dashara, Diwali, a birthday party, a baby-shower, a big and beautiful wedding, several Punjabs (Indian religious ceremonies) and several many family dinner gatherings. I was exposed to so many aspects of Indian life, I couldn’t have asked for more.

I wonder if everything will be eerily quiet when I get home. I fall asleep to whistles, honking, music, commotions, and other noises every night. A pleasurable aspect of the US is that it is calm and quiet in the majority of the parts. How evident will it be when I return?

Another thing I noticed—I now feel comfortable in India. I could come back (or when I come back) I think and hope it will pick up right where I left off. Some things may change but the warm welcome I know I will receive will be sincere. I feel so much genuine fondness around me.
Sanskruti/Chawkoli, Dada and Manisha’s daughter will be grown and talking, Apurva and Shamika will have graduated. Dr Gandhi will be one or two years closer to retiring (retiring at 45 sounds damn good to me). Many emails of keeping in touch will have been sent, and Dr. Rajan Joshi and his wife Vidya will still be working long hours at Mangeshkar.

People actually want me to come back, actually insist I come back. It is a wonderful feeling.

I have acquired 100+ bug bites in my ten-week period, a tan from Goa, global perspective, new friends, and new immunity to hundreds of bacteria. My immune system is as strong as I hoped it would be! I feel great both physically and mentally.  Drinking the water while doing my best to stay protected has increased my immunity towards several bugs. Going to India has built me to be both healthier and happier.  I have also gained an unbelievable amount of toughness to odd looking bugs. 



State-to-state I never imagined the enormous amount of culture discrepancies I would find. In northern India, people speak Hindi, make chapatti thicker and smaller in diameter; they use different oils and different kitchen utensils. The food is different. Besides a simple potato and vegetable dish, nothing I ate was the same. Southern India’s mother tongue is Marathi, spices are used in different combinations, tea is made differently and all general preparations differ; housing is different, smells and even sounds are different. Don’t worry however the horns and honking still VERY much exist.

Everything is unique by location. I must add in my personal opinion: I like the southern food much, much more. Maybe it was an increased exposure to the food because of my several caretakers, but it was wonderful. The food diary I posted will be extremely useful when I get home. Along the Oregon Interstate-5 highway (or expressway if you’re in India) from Portland to Eugene there are probably 50+ Indian restaurants. That may even be an understatement. Pre-Indian adventure I never knew there were so many variations. Hopefully finding Dosa in Oregon wont be that hard.

I would like to think I have had an effect on other people, at least a fraction of the amount that I have been impacted. I may be learning, but I also feel I as though I have been able to share my own lessons too.  

Now I am on the plane to New Jersey. Continental flight CO-083, an upcoming 15.5 hours on a jet plane. It is over.

Happy and sad.
I am excited to go home, but as I have indicated several times it is a bittersweet ending. So many long-distance relationships to keep, so many emails to write, but so much happiness in doing so.

Now I am on my flight from Newark, New Jersey to Portland, Oregon. Home sweet home. My India adventure has officially concluded. In 5 hours I will be standing on the same ground I left 10 weeks ago.
My 10 weeks in India were amazing; it has been everything I wanted it to be. Professionally I was exposed to an astounding number of patients. It would be a safe judgment to say that the number of patients I saw in my ten weeks was more that if I would have been doing the same thing at home in 6 months (seriously).



It is amazing what hard workers Indians are. Dedication to your trade is seen all over the world, but it was overwhelmingly noticeable to me in India.
Brute Strength.


They may only be a vegetable seller, but you better believe those vegetables will be stacked meticulously, sorted by weight, or just a naturally bright display.


Awful picture of both me and Taylor, but this has to be in the final reflections. No shame because the bus ride was even more awful than this snapshot.


My trip was near pristine….
Except… this particular bus ride back from Daramshala (see post from week 4). Crowded, smelly, dirty, crowded, smelly, dirty... but another story to tell. I am happy to have found my optimism along this trip, it has really enabled me to find the positive aspects in all of my experiences, good or bad. 

It would be unreasonable to think that only positive things were possible in India.
Another adventure to share…

Now some simple, random things to comment on:
In no particular order here is a list of details I haven't shared previously!!
Complete Randomness.
What I don't, won't and will miss about India; what I enjoyed, and what I didn't enjoy

Here it goes.... 


Horn prohibited… HA!



I think I will enjoy the transportation alternatives when I return to the United States.



Dedication to making a dollar; even if only stacking and selling fruits and vegetables the display is normally phenomenal.


Healthcare drastically differs between government and private sectors. It is unbelievable.


Life and the way of living drastically differs between the rural and city areas. The poverty, and the divide between rich and poor is heartbreaking at times. 


Teatime is me time.


India has some of the craziest, but most attentive drivers in the world, no exaggeration. I am still shocked I never saw a scooter or car accident or even a patient in the hospital due to a collision!


I am still shocked at how many people they can pack into a bus…It is a constant game of human Tetris!
Note: This picture is VERY deceiving, it is at least 25 people over the limit.


Or fit on a scooter…
One time I saw 5!!!!



I will miss the exotic fruit available for only 10-30 cents. Three Guavas for a dollar! Yes please!


I most certainly won’t miss the worst toilet I had the oppurtunity to use. 


Preferable bathrooms exist as well!


I don’t miss hand washing my own clothes. You would be surprised to know how much dirt and dust can change the color of water. 



Coming back to the states...

It is cold.
There is so much technology everywhere. I have a cell phone with Internet access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Unbelievable.
I still cannot believe I saw the Taj Mahal!


It is cold.
I felt hunger for the first time in 10 weeks, and I haven’t been sickly full either.
There hasn’t been any power surges or outages.
It is cold. 
I am excited to share my pictures, fabrics and presents with everyone.
I miss the straight forward advertisement. 




It is quiet, but I don’t notice it as much as I thought I would.
I miss going to the hospitals everyday. I realized I feel at home in the hospitals. I love helping people. I wouldn't be happy in any other profession.
Since I still think in Indian currency (rupees) and Indian prices, food is expensive--everything is expensive here for that matter.
People drive in their own lanes and abide by traffic laws. Cars stop at red lights.

It is not crowded here, there is so much space to walk on the sidewalks!


I haven’t unpacked my suitcases yet.
The Christmas lights remind me of the Diwali lights.
Police cars are everywhere.
I miss teatime.
I miss yoga.


Most notably however, I miss all of the wonderful Indian people.
Everyone is so genuine and helpful, even to a complete stranger. I wish I could make one huge collage displaying all of the individuals who made my India experience as great as it was, but even 100 pictures probably couldn't include everyone.

December 15, Thursday

The first day I have re-opened my word document to work on my blog since I left India.

I had over 24 hours of flying, reflecting, cruising through pictures, and sharing my experiences with who ever would listen to me. 


On Sunday the 11th I was back in the states with warm and exciting greetings from my friends and family. It was so exciting to have an entourage waiting for me at the airport. It was a reminder of how much love I am surrounded with, and how many people missed me back home. It is amazing; as I sit on my comfy couch at home India seems like one big dream. I haven’t gotten emotional yet, but I foresee it happening. Going back to a routine of school, gym, food and home is going to get boring really fast, that I know for sure, but for now I am content.


I may have enjoyed or disliked several things in the past ten weeks… I may miss some things, or not miss things, but I undoubtedly learned one thing. I probably knew it all along, but traveling to a country 8000 miles away from home made all of these things very apparent...

I am so fortunate to have had this oppurtunity.
I am so fortunate for all of my friends and family.
I am so fortunate to have everything I have in my life.

Life is good. 

Sometimes it may not feel that way, but when it all comes down to it, it is. Some people have it better than you do, and others have it way worse than you do.  I think I have seen the two extremes.
Going to India has given me so many things. Besides the vast amount of personal and professional accomplishments, I have gained incredible global perspective. India has a special place in my heart, but further than just the pure enjoyment of my internship, it makes me so appreciative to live in the United States. 

It helped me recognize how lucky I am to have the life I do.

For now, I end with this.
Dr. Gandhi is writing a book titled

Life is beautiful*
*conditions apply

I couldn't  agree more.

I am sure I will be writing again soon, but for now-- that is all.

Xoxo,
India and Shelane


To all of my new friends in India:
I may have returned to home sweet home, but don’t worry... I’ll be back! Not just because I made so many promises to return, but because I genuinely want to.
You can’t get rid of me that easy anyway.



2 comments:

  1. You are most welcome Shelane!!! Hope you are having a good time. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found the majority of folks will agree with your blog.
    Burun Estetiği

    ReplyDelete