Thank you for joining me on my journey to India!

It is the internship I have been talking about for months.
Official departure: October 1, 2011
Official return: December 11, 2011

Thursday, October 20, 2011

This one is for you Ellis

This one is for you Ellis.

I’m sorry you could never make your way back to India. I have been here for a little over two weeks, and I can tell why you loved it so much.
It is beautiful here. We were never really close past being Biology and Human Physiology partners for three years, but strangely enough being here has made me appreciate you as a person. I don’t think you realized it, but you had a large impact on the India coordinators. Even with all of the students that come and go, one year later they still remember you. When Mayunk (our program director for those of you who are not familiar) was showing us around Rishakesh he asked if it was okay if he told us a story. I didn’t know what was coming, but he began with—It is a little sad.


I had a student who came on this trip who passed away, his name was Rey Charles… I felt a little sorrow take over me as I interjected… but you all called him Ellis, I knew him from college.

On Janurary 21st you emailed me about meeting up to talk about India. We never got the chance to fully discuss the trip in that same email you told me a little bit about your experience… bucket showers and plywood beds with a thin blanket covering them. You. Were. Not. Kidding. --- but thanks for the warning.

It is weird what an impact you have had on me 9 months after your passing. In your profile picture you are standing on top of a cement building holding a bamboo stick. Mayunk told me that picture was taken here, the same place I stood. I am currently staying in the guesthouse you stayed in, working with the same doctors who taught you about alternative medicine.

I am going to enjoy my time here not only because this internship is awesome, and exactly what I worked so hard for, but also because life is short. I am trying so hard to be a sponge, and soak up everything around me; even though it is nearly impossible because everything is so different. Only people who have been on this internship can understand the entire sensory overload that I am feeling now. You would have understood.

You’ll never get the opportunity to come explore again, but I will do my best to cover as much land as I can.



RIP

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm so glad you made it to India.
    -Alexi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for dedicating this post to Ellis. His time in India was truly transformational, and it's clear that you are having a similar experience. Please say hi to Mayank for me (I met him when I visited Ellis in Dehradun and we hiked from Patti to Massouri). Peace - Sheila Heyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you so much, Shelane, for honoring my nephew Ellis by your blog entry. I'll never forget when I sat down with him at Christmas time, the last time I saw him, to look at his photos of his time in India. His eyes were shining, his voice was filled with enthusiasm; it was clear that India had changed his life. We agreed that the best thing about travelling is discovering first hand that, despite all the (wonderful) differences of culture, language, dress, etc., the main thing learned is how ALIKE we humans are. It's touching to know that Ellis is still in the minds and hearts of people on the other side of the world. I try to keep his attitude of laid-back happiness and openness to adventure close to me, to remind me of what living is all about. Have fun during the remainder of your stay! -Sandra Hemeon-McMahon

    ReplyDelete